It is very important to discover the cause of hemorrhoids. Just getting relief from hemorrhoids symptoms isn't going to get you anywhere, if you don't have a strategy about how to get rid of them for good. The following self-care measures may relieve the symptoms, but they won't make the hemorrhoid disappear. See your doctor if you don't get relief in a few days, or sooner if you have severe pain or bleeding.
Many products are sold for the treatment of hemorrhoids. These often contain the same drugs that are used for treating anal symptoms such as itching or discomfort, because they will probably reduce the symptoms of hemorrhoids too. Products used for the treatment of hemorrhoids are available as ointments, creams, gels, suppositories, foams, and pads. Ointments, creams, and gels - when used around the anus - should be applied as a thin covering. When applied to the anal canal, these products should be inserted with a finger or a "pile pipe." Pile pipes are most efficient when they have holes on the sides as well as at the end. Pile pipes should be lubricated with ointment prior to insertion. Suppositories or foams do not have advantages over ointments, creams, and gels.
Most products contain more than one type of active ingredient. Almost all contain a protecting ingredient in addition to others. For the temporarily relieve of pain and other hemorrhoid symptoms that you experience like swelling and inflammation, you can read the following self-care measures and detailed products.
- Apply a hemorrhoid cream or suppository containing hydrocortisone, or use pads containing witch hazel or a topical numbing agent.
- You have to take minimum eight or nine glasses of water per day. Also check the amount of fiber you are eating and adjust it accordingly.
- Keep the anal area clean and dry. Take a bath or shower (a bath is much better) daily and clean the skin around your anus gently with warm water. Soap isn't necessary and may aggravate the problem. You should dry the affected part of your body to avoid any irritations.
- Apply ice packs or cold compresses on the anus to relieve swelling. Make sure the ice is wet and slippery, not sticky. Insert it in the anal hole like a normal suppository.
- A Seitz bath fits over the toilet. For this treatment you will need one plastic tub with warm water. You can get one at a medical supply store or some pharmacies. It is suggested to use this treatment for 15 minutes three times in a day. This treatment will reduce pain and swelling most effectively, as this is an easier treatment for hemorrhoid relief. Or you could just buy some Epsom salts, and put them in a bath, then sit there for ten minutes to gain hemroid relief, longer if necessary.
- Do not use dry toilet paper when wiping your ass. To help keep the anal area clean after a bowel movement, use wet and moist towels or wet toilet paper that doesn't contain perfume or alcohol.
- If coming from the anal hole, you can also try to gently push them back. Once they back in, the pain should disappear very quickly.
- Exercise your body. Keep in mind that staying on the toilet for more than five minutes at a time aggravates your hemorrhoids. Take several short walks a day.
- You can find relief from hemorrhoids using a hemorrhoid cushion. A hemorrhoid cushion is an inflatable rubber ring, similar to the inflatable rings that kids wear at the beach. When you sit on it, the cushion is minimizing the contact pressure between the sitting surface and the hemorrhoid.
You can use aspirin or ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin, others), acetaminophen (Tylenol, others) to help relieve your discomfort temporarily. Here are some medications you should know about:
- Local anesthetics temporarily relieve pain, burning, and itching by numbing the nerve endings. The use of these products should be limited to the perianal area and lower anal canal. Local anesthetics can cause allergic reactions with burning and itching. Therefore, if burning and itching increase with the application of anesthetics, they should be discontinued. If the hemroids are really painful, a cream or lotion with tetracaine is a very good anesthetic.
- Vasoconstrictors are chemicals that resemble epinephrine, a naturally occurring chemical. Applied to the anus, vasoconstrictors make the blood vessels become smaller, which may reduce swelling. They also may reduce pain and itching due to their mild anesthetic effect.
- Protectants prevent irritation of the perianal area by forming a physical barrier on the skin that prevents contact of the irritated skin with aggravating liquid or stool from the rectum. This barrier reduces irritation, itching, pain, and burning. There are many products that are themselves protectants or that contain a protectant in addition to other medications.
- Astringents cause coagulation of proteins in the cells of the perianal skin or the lining of the anal canal. This action promotes dryness of the skin, which in turn helps relieve burning, itching, and pain.
- Antiseptics inhibit the growth of bacteria and other organisms. However, it is unclear whether antiseptics are any more effective than soap and water. Bepanthen is a hemorrhoid home remedy that contains an antiseptic. Proctosedyl is also a good suppository for hemorrhoids that contains an antiseptic.
- Keratolytics are chemicals that cause the outer layers of skin or other tissues to disintegrate. The rationale for their use is that the disintegration allows medications that are applied to the anus and perianal area to penetrate into the deeper tissues.
- Analgesic products, like anesthetic products, relieve pain, itching, and burning by depressing receptors on pain nerves.
- Corticosteroids reduce inflammation and can relieve itching, but their chronic use can cause permanent damage to the skin. They should not be used for more than short periods of a few days to two weeks. Stronger corticosteroid products that are available by prescription should not be used for treating hemorrhoids.
Some good hemorrhoid creams on the market would be Anusol, Zenmed Zero and Preparation H. You can also apply zinc oxide based creams - they will help with the relief of pain and discomfort.